Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Starcraft 2

I got Starcraft 2 this past Christmas. And by 'got' I mean that I ordered it off Amazon and the Boss paid for it (i.e. it was my Christmas gift.) Today I was able to beat the computer, for the first time, on 'Very Hard'. It seems a bit anti-climactic for a number of reasons:

  1. I still suck at Starcraft. In case you don't play Starcraft 2 or aren't Korean, you can play against other people and level up. Bronze is the lowest level. I'm not even in the Bronze level. That's mostly because I insist on playing in the unranked novice levels. But when I play with people I know, I know I'm the weakest link. My team might as well be playing with one less person. My only saving grace, I suppose, is that I just try to churn out units as fast as I can for my teammates to use. I also try to annoy Justin by attacking his base while there's a huge battle going on elsewhere.
  2. I'm totally into being a dad. Serenity isn't very serene. I guess her name is more of a hope of who she might be as opposed to a description of her character. She just started whining a lot. She loves to grab stuff and put it in her mouth (including dirty diapers). She knows when I'm playing Starcraft because that's when she chooses to ask to be picked up. She wakes me up at 6 in the morning. And I love it. Coming home to a wife used to be the best thing about being married. I'd have to say that coming home to a daughter who loves to wrestle tops that. (Sorry Boss!)
  3. I'm wondering where all my books went. I used to be into reading. I would love to read so much that my mom would have to threaten me to make me take a shower; I would rather read than get clean. One time I spent the whole day reading library books at school, pretending to pay attention. After that, my mom made a rule about not being able to bring library books to school. So how come I'm not into reading now? The answer rhymes with 'Warcraft'. To be more accurate, the answer is that I'm less into things that require a relaxing of the body and the engaging of the mind and more interested in things that require a dulling of the mind and a racing of the heart. (I get super pumped when I play Starcraft. Something about destroying the computer or another person, figuratively, makes for an enjoyable evening.) Recently I've been reading 'Red Badge of Courage'. I might finish it. I finished 'Les Miserablés' so I could probably finish this. So I'm sort of into reading. But I'm not. 
At the end of the day, there's this deep tension between wanting to be good at Starcraft and not wanting to be good at Starcraft. Being good at Starcraft means that I can hold my own with my friends that play Starcraft. It means being able to crush the computer whenever I want to. But not being good at Starcraft means that I'm spending time on other, possibly more important, things.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave your angry feedback here.