Saturday, February 9, 2013

Thailand

The Boss, who is just as consistent as I am about writing, and I have this ongoing discussion about vacation. For her, it's relaxing and enjoyable to sit on the beach every day for at least 9 days. I can survive maybe 5 days. After the fourth day I slowly start getting antsy before I start longing for the 0° (Fahrenheit) weather of home where I can be "productive".

Before moving away from the US, I read this wonderful book on rest and the Sabbath. Honestly, it takes a lot of work for me to rest. I have to be purposeful about what is restful and say no to a lot of fun things in order to find the rest I need. One big idea of true rest is that it is a break from what you normally do; the distance created by the break gives renewed energy for the work that needs to be done. Needless to say, I haven't been disciplined about creating those breaks, and thus, am seldom rested.

That's been one of the really great things about Thailand this time around: I'm really taking a break. I didn't bring the laptop. I'm spending a lot more time with the Boss, the Princess, and the Poop King. I have a greater appreciation for the hard work that goes into being a mom but an equal appreciation for the joy that one gets from being around your kids most of the day.

Other things I've gotten to do that I normally don't do:

• enjoy an after meal walk with my wife and kids
• blog
• eat (relatively) giant breakfasts
• go swimming
• nap with my daughter
• take baths
• meander around a mall
• watch a live American football game

It's not hiking through a redwood forest, snorkeling off a coral reef, or riding a winged wyrvern through the Palamecian skies, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave your angry feedback here.