Sunday, March 13, 2011

Information Black Hole vs Lent

"The tradition of Lent—a forty-day sacrifice—is one way of mourning the death that sin has caused in our lives. As we see Jesus perfectly withstand Satan's temptation in the wildernesss, we admit our own shortcomings, our own inadequate sacrifices. This period of 'giving up' has a profound way of recalling our desperate need for Jesus Christ."[1]

The rhythm of my days revolve around a schedule that is, to be quite honest, centered on myself. It starts with figuring out what and when to eat: Granola or oatmeal? Light brunch and then lunch at the caf? It then moves to fitting in time with my first love (by first, I'm speaking in terms of chronology not value): the computer. The pattern is usually eating breakfast while I read Google News, The New York Times, Daring Fireball, MacNN, Hacker News and ESPN all simultaneously, switching from one tab to another on my browser, slowly but methodically downloading the entire internet into my brain. Not participating in this ritual often leaves feeling that I missed out on something happening in the world, like the latest Charlie Sheen rant. The irrational and chaotic[2] liturgical calendar, then, is an important reminder to me, that God's time is never the same as my time.

I happen to love Easter because it, unlike Christmas or any other competing holiday, draws me through a path of memorial and takes me through the darkest lows and the brightest highs; from the hope of Palm Sunday to the somberness of Good Friday and finally to the joy of Resurrection Sunday, I feel like I'm taken through the gamut of the human experience. Easter is full of emotion and reflection; important things that are often forgotten for a guy that likes to sit in a room staring at luminiscent screen while his fingers jab away at the keyboard.

"The season of Lent is puzzling to many. Denying ourselves our favorite treats or habits—even for a short time—seems archaic in our I-want-it-now culture. Lent is a plodding, definitive crecendo that leads up to the cacophonous noise of Good Friday and the gorgeous aria of Easter. It's a season marked by deliberateness and intentionality."

One of the things that I have noticed over the years is that I am something of an Information Black Hole.[3] When I was young, my parents bought a second-hand set of encyclopedias; these were most likely published in the late 60's.[4] I read these from A to Z. And then my dad bought another set of encyclopedias: a set of Encyclopedia Brittanicas. I also read these from A-Z.[5] I can spend hours on Wikipedia, just reading about farriers and Legionnaires' disease. And for someone with a bad memory, I can sure hold in a lot of useless information. I can easily spend two or three hours a day just reading news, looking at electronics reviews, posting on forums, browsing esoteric wikipedia articles. So this is the thing that I'm giving up for Lent: outside of my email and the New York Times, I am not going to be spending time suckling at the teat of the internet. Most of my time grazing the pastures of the cybernet is really because I'm looking for something else to do. During this time of Lent, I hope that my attention is turned toward remembering the great sorrow that has past, the greater joy that I have, and the greatest hope that is to come.

What are others doing for Lent? (When I say 'others' I really mean 'you'. And by 'you' I mean the 7 people that still read this blog, not including the Boss).

[1] All quotes are taken from a book I'm reading called "Devotions for Lent", a small book built on excerpts from the Mosaic Bible.
[2] Easter is never the same every year! It drives me crazy. If we can do Christmas on the 25th of December, why can't we find a similar date for Easter? :)
[3] Basically, I am the Information Superhighway's arch-enemy.
[4] One article talked about race and how there were three different races: Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid. I kid you not. That's why I think they were published in the late 60's.
[5] In retrospect, it's not clear to me that this was such a good idea. I remember reading things that I had no understanding of. (I just remember the feeling of being confused; I don't remember the topic).

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave your angry feedback here.