Friday, March 4, 2011

My 'wall'

We live in a somewhat rundown, barely middle-class apartment complex. And I love it. The largest perk is that we feel like we live in a neighborhood. People know one another, people (for better or worse) talk about one another, people are connected together. It's like living Facebook. Some snippets on my 'wall':

[I'm riding back home from school on the Boss's electric bike and see Jay, one of the neighborhood kids walking home.]

Me: Oh hey Jay! Going home?
Jay: <sigh> Yeah.
Me: Do you want a ride home?
Jay: OK!
Me: Does your mom usually pick you up?
Jay: (embarrassed) Um, no. She makes me walk home. You don't need to give me a ride home...
Me: WHAT!? We're both going to the same place. Get on the back now!

[On the bike Jay tries to practice his English on me.]

Jay: <Where are you going?>
Me: (laugh)<I am going home. Where are *you* going?>
Jay: <I am going home too!>

Another time, the Boss and I came home and she had just purchased a bunch of pears. One of the kids, who is basically as bad as you can get without being a criminal just started school (he's wearing his school uniform).

Me: When did you start school?
Kid: Today! (Notices the pears). Can I have an apple?
Me: (laughs) (to the Boss in English) <He wants an apple.>
Me: (To the Kid) You can't have an apple. But you can have a pear. Do you want a pear?
Kid: Yes!
[Kid's mom comes up behind him.]
Mom: WHAT!? Why did you ask auntie for a pear!? Did you say thank you!? (to us) I'm so sorry.

This reminds me of when I was growing up and I would see adults with chips, candy, or something else that I would be deprived of in my cell block at home. When I'd ask for it, I'd always get the same lecture afterwards: "We're not poor! Don't go begging for food! We can get you candy if you want it!" Haha.

It's not easy to live in our neighborhood. Or in our country for that matter. But stuff like this makes it way easier.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave your angry feedback here.