Sunday, July 3, 2011

The New Googs

I'm minding my own business on the Le Intérweb. Suddenly monsieur gets hit by Le Google+ (aka LG+). LG+ does this ninja thing and then, while I'm looking, dragon punches me into "Wow…this can weird but so cool" land. And then Blogger gets all fanshy-pants on me, looking all slick and clean. What's going on? I'm pretty impressed, but I don't know how long this will last (i.e. my infatuation with this new look).

I was am really confused by the Google+ thing, though. It sounds like it's supposed to be like the Book of Faces, but instead of you signing up to be someone's face friend, they get signed up by the author. Even if they don't have a Google+ thingy account thingy.

I vowed not to go onto Facebook because I didn't need another thing to sign-up for and check. LG+ solves that for me. I'm not sure about the whole, sign-up your 'friends' thing. As an experiment, I created a circle and called it the X-Circle. Then I added 9 people to it because I could only name 10 canonical X-Men off the top of my head. They are: Angel, Colossus, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Ice Man, Rogue, Gambit, and of course, Professor X. I am Professor X, of course.

We'll see where this thing goes. I'm sort of interested in social networking but I fear that it is something that I sort of do but not really do.

Like this blog.

2 comments :

  1. When you figure it out, you can explain it to me. I'm not on it yet, but if I do get on in the future, you can be friends with me, an actual Wolverine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. So basically (from what I gather) it's like Facebook, but instead of choosing people who you want to read /from/ you get to choose people that you want to send messages to. So if I choose you and my wife, regardless of whether you care, I can send my message posts to you. Of course, you can tell G+ to ignore all of my posts to you.

    The biggest difference here (again... this is what I gather since I'm not on Facebook) is that you create groups of people that you want to send messages to. So you can have groups (Google likes to call them 'circles') labeled: 'All of my friends', 'People I don't know', 'Inappropriate jokes', 'Racist jokes', 'Dena'. And then place the appropriate people into those circles. Then when you write a post, you can choose what group that goes to... or you can just make a post public and it goes to anyone and everyone.

    Anyways... I've been on it. The nice thing is that it's sometimes not blocked here... whereas the book of faces is always blocked here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your angry feedback here.