Thursday, December 30, 2010

25-year friends

I'll be the first to admit that my friend making skills waver from mediocre to atrocious. I can easily tell you the names of 10 people who are better at being a friend than I am.

It's not that I don't like having friends or making friends, it's just that I am a combination of:

1) not very sympathetic/sensitive to people
2) not a bend-over backwards nice guy (in fact… if you said I was a jerk, I wouldn't blame you)
3) somewhat introverted

In fact, when it comes to friends, the fewer the better, I (selfishly) think because then I can spend time with the few that I have and still have time leftover for, well, me.

If you've read this far, you're probably disgusted that you know me or, if you don't know me, disgusted that I exist. Or, perhaps, you realize that 159 words don't really give a full picture of anyone because it's the internet.

In any case, I read this:

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2010/05/28/of-course

and loved it. For all my connectedness (or disconnectedness) with the internet, nothing can replace those friends that I have who I don't need Twitter, Facebook, email, Skype, telephone, post, pigeons, or ESP to know and love. Not that these things are bad; in fact, they are helpful in keeping me connected. But there's something reassuring and rare about friends that I've made that don't need these things to stay in touch, and that makes me thankful for old friends.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave your angry feedback here.